As you know Twitter has taken the web by storm with a traffic rate increase going from roughly 1 million to 20 million unique visitors just in the last year. (Compete.com)
Launching in March 2006, this social networking and micro-blogging service enables users to send short 140 character text based posts (tweets) to their followers. It is popularly used by celebrities, executives, bloggers, and anyone who wants to keep in close touch with their friends. In recent months, many applications have been released to increase the usability of Twitter’s fuctions (and make a few bucks while they’re at it). These apps let you easily group and manage your friends, retweet, reply, e-mail, translate, favorite and search for friends:
Adobe Air Twitter Applications – Windows and Mac
- TweetDeck – Adobe Air 1.5 desktop application that allows you to customize your Twitter experience by categorizing your friends into niche groups: personal, co-workers, health, etc. It also syncs up with popular Twitter applications: Twitscoop, 12seconds, Stocktwits and now most recently Facebook.
- Twhirl – One of the most popular and user friendly Twitter clients to date. This application also uses Adobe Air and is compatible with both Windows (2000/XP/Vista) and Mac OSX platforms. It integrates with your friendfeed, identi.ca, laconi.ca, and Seesmic accounts and uses Twitter Search and TweetScan for searching tweets.
- Snitter – Adobe AIR desktop application that displays your most recent 20 message, replies, and tweets in an easy timeline.
- Twitterriffic – A clean twitter client that allows you to publish tweets, shows unread tweets, and view twitter profiles. You can easily toggle between public or friend timeline. This is compatible with Mac OS X 10.4 or later, and the iPhone or iPod Touch.
Standalone Twitter Applications
- TwitBox – Supports multiple twitter accounts, easily view and submit tweets, view replies and direct messages, and delete unwanted tweets.
- Twitterlicious – Easily update your Twitter status, check replies and direct messages.
- Twiteroo – Update twitter status from you desktop, URL shortening via rurl.org, notifications, toggle friend and public timeline, and much more.
- Pwytter – Pwytter is a standalone Twitter client. Available in 14 languages: Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Romanian, Serbian, Swedish, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, and is compatible with Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
- Teletwitter – Experimental open source client available for download via Google code.
Twitter iPhone Applications
- Tweetie – Easy iPhone twitter application that lets you manage multiple twitter accounts simultaneously. View your timeline, replies, direct messages and favorites. Post tweets and direct messages.
- Twinkle – A unique iphone application that allows you to discover, connect, and send messages to people nearby. Upload photos and update your Twitter account.
- Twitterriffic – As mentioned above: “A clean twitter client that allows you to publish tweets, shows unread tweets, and view twitter profiles. You can easily toggle between public or friend timeline. This is compatible with Mac OS X 10.4 or later, and the iPhone or iPod Touch.”
Web-Based Twitter iPhone Applications
- Twitter – The official application released by Twitter.com. This iPhone application handles all the same functions: add new friends, recent posts, message friends, and more.
- Hahlo – Web based iPhone and iPod Touch twitter application that allows you to easily update your status and check your friends tweets.
- Pocket Tweets – Web-based application that allows you to update your Twitter status from anywhere using your iPhone, view friends’ twitter status updates , view direct messages, and the public timeline.