Looking for an easy way to help your Adwords ads stand out above the competition? If you aren’t using them already, then Ad Extensions are a great way to do so. Basically, Ad Extensions allow Adwords advertisers to expand their normal text ads with additional information, including business address and phone number, links to other pages on your site, and product images and information. Although Ad Extensions have been around for a couple of years now, I consistently see a lack of this feature being used on the SERPs. Below are the currently available Ad Extensions – decide which are best for your campaign and stand out from the crowd!
- Location Extensions: This extension allows advertisers to include their business address and phone number as a drop down item on their normal text ads. If you have multiple locations, you can target all of them within your campaign and Google will display the location that is closest to the user performing the search. Location extensions can be entered manually in your Adwords account, or they can be automatically incorporated by syncing your Adwords Campaign with your Google Places account.
- Phone Extensions: Phone extensions basically allow potential customers to call you directly from your ad. Depending on whether or not you have enabled call metrics within Google Adwords, phone extensions will work one of two ways:
- Without call metrics enabled: your business’s phone number will display as a click-to-call function within your ad on mobile device only. Phone extensions will not appear on desktop or laptop computers without call metrics enabled.
- With call metrics enabled: your ad will be assigned a unique phone number by Google that will display in your ads on both mobile and desktop/ laptop devices. Call to this phone number will be rerouted to your business phone number, and important call metrics will be tracked as well.
- Product Extensions: In order to use product extentions, you must have a Google Merchant Center account set up, and an active product feed running. From there, Google allows you to import all or some of the products that are included in your Merchant Center account in Adwords, and have them display as images, titles, and prices of your products in a drop down box under your ad. As with all ad extensions, product extensions give your ad increased visibility, as well as additional options to entice the searcher to click.
- Sitelinks Extensions: Similar to product extensions, sitelinks extensions allow advertisers to include up to 4 additional links to other pages on their site just beneath their normal text ad. Again, the main advantages here are increased ad visibility and a better chance to earn more clicks.
Test out some of these ad extensions in your Adwords account, and see if they lead to improved performance.